Monday, January 31, 2011

Changing Course

I've spent the past 3 days, since Friday night, confined to my bed with the flu...I've been isolated away from my family, not to infect them, missed several Gahanna Lincoln events - congrats to the Swim, Hockey and Competition Cheer teams for their strong performances this weekend.  I've watched more MSNBC in the 3 days than I think I have all year, and I thought I watched alot.  The breaking news for the weekend has been that of the "revolution" in Egypt and how the citizens are expressing their feelings of outrage and dissent amongst their government and the governments, refusal to change.

I thought of this Tale I once read...

A batleship had been at sea on manuevers in heavy weather for several days.  The captain, who was cncerned about the deteriorating conditions, stayed on the bridge so that he could keep an eye on all activities.  One night, shortly after dark, the lookout on the bridge suddenly shouted, 'A light, captain, bearing on the starboard bow.'
'Is it steady or moving astern?' the captain asked.
The lookout confirmed that it was steady, which meant that the battleship was apparently on a dangerous collision course with the other ship.  The captain then called to the signalman, 'Signal that ship: "We are on a coliision course.  Advise you change course 20 degrees north."'
Back came the response from the other ship: 'You change course 20 degrees south.'
Annoyed at the arrogance of the response, the captain said, 'Send: "I am a captain, change course 20 degrees north."'
'I am a seaman second class,' came the reply, 'you had still better shange course 20 degrees south.'
By this time, the captain was furious.  He shouted, 'Send: "I am a battleship.  Change course 20 degrees north."'
Back came the flashing light: 'I am a lighthouse.'
The captain changed course.

The moral of that tale is this:
Flexibility is key to common sense and success.

I hope those in Egypt exercise a little flexibility in their decisions or they're on a collision course for something they probably don't want to see.

I guess that lesson is good for each of us and certainly fitting for coaches everyday.  We have to be flexible, or we will run ashore.

No comments:

Post a Comment